Dennis Prager interviews David Savage, washington bureau writer for the L.A. TIMES, about his article seemingly making last years Supreme Court pick by Obama, Merrick Garland, a centrist. While this isn’t the entire interview, it is the first two segments of this March 2016 interview.
In a thoughtful challenge on my FaceBook, the following conversation took place:
- S.S. From what I’ve seen/heard of his testimony, they will never find a more objective one. He was outstanding.
- B.M. I agree that Gorsuch is more then qualified. Unfortunately they’re hung up on Merrick Garland. And so it goes.
I respond a bit:
- This is not the same B.M. Since FDR tried packing the court, both parties have not put forward a nominee to the court in the last year[-] of an outgoing President. Obama broke this tradition and so was rebuffed.
A great question by B.M. followed:
- Was this a tradition or a rule?
Here are my more in-depth responses to the above…
B.M. kindly noted:
- Thanks for the education. Not being snarky, honestly didn’t know the origin of this.