In an older interview revisited, I wanted to isolate this comment about the importance of tow Supreme Court Justices and their influence on the Court. Links to the original REASON-TV interview can be found via my post: “Why Merrick Garland Should NOT Be on SCOTUS.”
This post should be married to my other post regarding the 2nd Amendment,
Here is the amendment as ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, the Secretary of State:
- A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
As Founder, Tench Coxe, of Pennsylvania — noted:
In other words, the comma in that Amendment separates the clause… there are TWO part to this Amendment, and so it should read (The RPT version):
- Since an organized force of volunteer citizens is necessary to defend our freedoms from tyranny within [a. federal vs. state | b. one’s own domicile] or (c.) foreign attack, the government shall in no way limit the People’s right to own and carry weapons for collective (a,c) or for sportsmanship or sustenance reasons as well as personal defense of private property guaranteed as a Natural Right (b).
In other words at the split in the sentence, what is reasonable to protect a state (tanks, bazookas, planes). And what is reasonable to protect a home and hunt with (pistols, semi-auto rifles/shotguns [like the AR], etc).
Here, Mark Levin explains these concepts to a caller to his radio show:
David French discusses some of the issues in his article in NATIONAL REVIEW discussing the original text of this Amendment:
Here are a couple quotes by the men who knew the details of what they wrote:
- Thomas Jefferson said, “No free man shall be debarred the use of arms.”
- Patrick Henry said, “The great object is, that every man be armed.”
- Richard Henry Lee wrote that, “to preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms.”
- Thomas Paine noted, “[A]rms . . . discourage and keep the invader and the plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property.”
- Samuel Adams warned that: “The said Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms.”
More quotes from the Founding Fathers DEFINING the 2nd Amendment can be found at THE FEDERALIST PAPERS
Breitbart gives us this update to my “time-line” of activity against the religious people of the Catholic Church:
December 14, 2014
Three main points from the brief, via Westword:
- The brief lays out three main complaints about the procedure. The first? Since the form “designates, authorizes, incentivizes, and obligates third parties to provide or arrange contraceptive coverage in connection with the plan,” the brief contends that “once the Little Sisters execute and deliver the Form, the Mandate purports to make it irrevocably part of the plan by forbidding the Little Sisters to even talk to the outside companies that administer their health plan, ‘directly or indirectly,’ to ask them not to provide the coverage.”
- In addition, the brief allows that “regardless of whether the government sincerely believes EBSA Form 700 is morally meaningful, the relevant legal question is whether the Little Sisters do. And on that point, there is no dispute: the Little Sisters cannot execute and deliver the contraceptive coverage form without violating their religious conscience. The government may think the Little Sisters should reason differently about law and morality, but their actual religious beliefs — the beliefs that matter in this case — have led them to conclude that they cannot sign or send the government’s Form.”
- Finally, the government’s so-called “scheme” is said to violate the First Amendment, because it has “exempted a large class of religious organizations based on unfounded guesswork about the likely religious characteristics of different religious organizations. The government has no power to discriminate in this fashion, allowing some religious organizations to survive while crushing others with fines for the identical religious exercise. This violation of the Free Exercise and Establishment Clauses is compounded by a clear violation of the Free Speech Clause: the Mandate both compels the Little Sisters to engage in government-required speech against their will, and prohibits them from engaging in speech they wish to make.”
Another short commentary on what took place just a couple days ago via The Daily Signal:
January 5, 2014
I posted about the Little Sisters a while ago, and we will be entering into a new faze of this issue soon:
Does Sotomoyer see the dangers in this? Gateway Pundit Updates:
- Supreme Court Justice Sonya Sotomayor blocked the Obama administration from forcing the Little Sisters of the Poor to provide free contraceptive coverage to employees. The Little Sisters of the Poor serve the elderly poor in over 30 countries around the world.
December 20, 2012
Via Gateway Pundit:
- “I love to argue. I’ve always loved to argue. And I love to point out the weaknesses of the opposing arguments. It may well be that I’m something of a shin kicker. It may well be that I’m something of a contrarian.” ~ Justice Scalia
The U.S. Supreme Court’s Antonin Scalia discusses his public and private life in a remarkably candid interview with Lesley Stahl.
(Mark Levin audio at the bottom of the post)
Above Audio Description
“…As for me and my family, we will worship Yahweh” (Joshua 24:15). Gregory Koukl has a challenging word of encouragement for the believer. We will have to fortify our will here in America to defend truth. Such a defense requires sticking to your guns (proverbial, not real), which, may have consequences for employment, acceptance, and the like. See more at http://www.str.org/
Breitbart has this interesting note of newspapers practicing a form of bigotry against Christians:
The above sort of reminds me of the many famous pictures (below) of leftist tyrants that merely removed people from pictures… as if they never existed. Likewise, the left will begin to reject that Plato, Socrates, Aristotle, Siddhārtha Gautama, Moses, Confucius, Jesus ~ on-and-on ~ have never supported these relations as mainstream. But we will start to get an expunging of history and historical giants of religious and moral theory as not as “enlightened” as the “liberal elite.” This generation knows better than all the preceding history and our own in order to say, using VtheK’s adaptation:
- “To paraphrase Jurassic Park: SCOTUS was so obsessed with if they could do it they never asked if they should do it.”
Liberal Elite: I say “elite” almost tongue and cheek. Elite in the past would mean a small group of people who were very wealthy or a condensed group of people who either were specialists in their field or thought they were. And these Elite would PLAN for others what they themselves either wanted or could never hold to themselves.
- Planning…in political rhetoric is the government’s suppression of other people’s plans by superimposing on them a collective plan, created by third parties, armed with the power of government and exempted from paying the costs the these collective plans impose on others. ~ Thomas Sowell, Economic Facts and Fallacies (New York, NY: Basic Books, 2008), 31-32.
Today, however, with a generation growing up with getting participation trophies for anything they were involved in, passing out birthday cards to everyone in a classroom so people’s feelings are not hurt, or not playing sports that would have competition as its goal (winners or losers) or exclude a gender… elite is the entire swath of progressive liberals.
Some may not even know how to classify themselves as fitting into this camp. They may not have even the tools presented to them through high-school and college to self reflect on their worldview. It doesn’t matter, even if they do not know they have a worldview guiding their lives, they have allowed progressivism to do it for them, blinded by good intentions, not knowing every tyranny was for “good intentions.”
- “All propaganda has to be popular and has to accommodate itself to the comprehension of the least intelligent of those whom it seeks to reach.” ~ Mein Kampf (1935)
Who are the liberal elite? Half our nation. Elitist in the idea of their hubris and ego (controlling gender and weather through legislation, and changing God’s or Natures edict of the ideal environment to raise children). All have given themselves a pat on their back and a participation trophy. Elitist in that they have rejected 5-to-6 thousand years of man (written history) applying things to see if they work or do not work. Elite in their vacuous “atta boys.” Elite in the fact that they have swallowed empty accolades and propaganda dressed up as “equality.”
LEGENDS in their own minds.
The men who wrote our Founding Documents were students of history and philosophy, religious and political.
The Elites of today are students of their own good-pleasure or in a constant flux of emotive states… doing only what makes them tickled pink inside.
The Bible is different however. It is here to stay… even in those socialist, virulently anti-Christian countries and movements… Christianity survived. While I think the American Church will start to feel the persecution and stresses of most of the Church in other places of the world… we Americans are a different breed. We live under the greatest document of restrictions on a government… and clear advice for stopping a government that is out of control — and it is out of control:
“Today’s decree says that my Ruler, and the Ruler of 320 million Americans coast-to-coast, is a majority of the nine lawyers on the Supreme Court,” Scalia said.
“This practice of constitutional revision by an unelected committee of nine, always accompanied (as it is today) by extravagant praise of liberty, robs the People of the most important liberty they asserted in the Declaration of Independence and won in the Revolution of 1776: the freedom to govern themselves.”
The conservative justice railed against his fellow justices, calling the majority opinion “egotistical” and pointing out that the justices were a homogeneous group that didn’t represent the people. As proof, Scalia pointed out that many went to the same law schools, and none were evangelical or protestant Christians.
“To allow the policy question of same-sex marriage to be considered and resolved by a select, patrician, highly unrepresentative panel of nine is to violate a principle even more fundamental than no taxation without representation: no social transformation without representation,” Scalia said…
the Fifth Amendment is that emergency parachute. Here is Mark Levin proposing an option for us to consider:
(National Journal) …In a ripping dissent, Scalia says that Justice Anthony Kennedy and his colleagues in the majority have resorted to calling opponents of gay marriage “enemies of the human race.” Despite this being the first time in human history, gender and marriage (as being between man and woman) being challenged… we are[!?] enemies of the human race? Sick!
But to defend traditional marriage is not to condemn, demean, or humiliate those who would prefer other arrangements, any more than to defend the Constitution of the United States is to con- demn, demean, or humiliate other constitutions. To hurl such accusations so casually demeans this institution. In the majority’s judgment, any resistance to its holding is beyond the pale of reasoned disagreement. To question its high-handed invalidation of a presumptively valid statute is to act (the majority is sure) with the purpose to “dis- parage,” “injure,” “degrade,” “demean,” and “humiliate” our fellow human beings, our fellow citizens, who are homo- sexual. All that, simply for supporting an Act that did no more than codify an aspect of marriage that had been unquestioned in our society for most of its existence— indeed, had been unquestioned in virtually all societies for virtually all of human history. It is one thing for a society to elect change; it is another for a court of law to impose change by adjudging those who oppose it hostes humani generis, enemies of the human race.
(See “Deck O Race-Cards“)
The gist of the above:
“Section 2 of DOMA unconstitutional. ~ SCOTUS” What this really does is strengthen states rights (better said as states-power). So the states that define marriage as hetero, are embedded with more rights, less interference from government. There will be future issues with DOMA… but that bridge must be crossed then. Also, here are some insights:
Prop 8 does not go by-by. There are nuances that will not be felt for a few days… but I will quickly explain what I understand.
In the California’s constitution, the government *HAS TO* uphold a proposition (again, by law) until the prop is said to be unconstitutional by an upper court. The Supe’s said they had no jurisdiction, and neither did the 9th circuit. The 9th vacated their position, and the ruling falls back down to the local judges ruling.
Which means — I believe — that the judges ruling is only effective for the two couples suing, or that particular district?
So what will happen?
Jerry Brown has ordered — unlawfully mind you, because prop 8 is still legal — all 58 districts to start performing SSM. All it will take is one conservative county/attorney general to say no… and the case will again rise up to the echelons of SCOTUS (which has been making some good choices as of late). Except this time it will be in the Courts Jurisdiction because you will have a defense and a prosecution on its rise, which the original case did not.
The same arguments that same-sex marriage advocates use here in the States were used in Canada to argue for polygamy. Using this same criteria, “love,” why couldn’t sisters be married? Brothers? Brothers and sisters? Three people? Doesn’t a number (one-man-and-one-man) seem an arbitrary thing to argue if it isn’t one-man-and-one-woman? You see, if you leave the wise counsel of all of human history, you end up with illiberal egalitarianism. Notice what’s missing? That’s because to say a child is better off with a mother-and-father is now a form of bigotry (http://youtu.be/
In oral arguments before the Supreme Court Tuesday, Justice Antonin Scalia repeatedly pressed Ted Olson, the attorney advocating same-sex marriage, over the issue of when exactly marriage, as it is defined in most states today, became unconstitutional:
“We don’t prescribe law for the future. We decide what the law is. I’m curious, when did it become unconstitutional to exclude homosexual couples from marriage? 1791? 1868? When the Fourteenth Amendment was adopted?“
Olson countered that with a question of his own, bringing up two past high-profile cases involving discrimination: “When did it become unconstitutional to prohibit interracial marriages? When did it become unconstitutional to assign children to separate schools?” Olson asked.
“Well, how am I supposed to decide a case, then, if you can’t give me a date when the Constitution changes?” Scalia said.
Remember this “retort” by Obama?
And this ability to not be able to read a law before passing it because it is sooo large?
Oooops, that monstrosity of mangled law backfired on them!